Schools Workmen fixing the road outside Oulton St. John’s School. In the playground at Woodlesford School in the 1950s. Coached by teacher Alfie Howells this football team from Woodlesford school won a record number of trophies in the 1946/47 season. They’re pictured here at the Rabbit Trap ground in early July 1947 after they beat Rothwell schoolboys to win the Rothwell Charity Cup. A week later they defeated Mickletown 3 – 0 to come top of the Woodlesford and District Schools League, the first time a team had won all five available trophies since the league was formed. Their achievement was greeted with much enthusiasm in Oulton and Woodlesford and £50 was collected which went towards 16 cups for the players and a tea and social evening. The football shirts were blue and red stripes. In the background of the photo are the garages of Smith and Robinson’s transport business. Back row: Alfie Howells, David Bickerdyke, Kenny Biggs, Terry Hollis, John “Snowy” Atkinson, Colin Ellis, Terry Parkinson. Front row: John Alderson, Roy Abbishaw, Dicky Hughes, Roy Dennison, Terry Joyce, Cyril East.