Albert Butterick

11 Aberford Road at the corner of Quarry Hill, the Butterick’s home before they moved to Albert Road.

Albert Butterick was born in 1902 and after working down the pit at Water Haigh he became a drayman at Bentley’s brewery in Woodlesford. For many years he drove one of their lorries delivering beer throughout Yorkshire, County Durham and Lincolnshire. 

Albert’s father was born in Oulton in a cottage off Calverley Road close to the Nookin. His father worked on a farm at Methley owned by Lord Mexborough. His mother came from Bowers Row near Swillington where her father was a miner at one of the pits owned by T. and R. W. Bower.

One small blot on Albert’s copybook occured in Februrary 1927 when he was spotted driving along Aberford Road without having his rear licence plate illuminated. Police Constable Ernest Finbow took him to the West Riding Court in Leeds where he was fined 10 shillings. 

After his marriage at Woodlesford Church to Catherine Raynes Wilson in 1940 Albert Butterick and his family lived in a small cottage at 11 Aberford Road in Oulton in what is now the car park of the Old Masons pub. The family later moved to a council house on Albert Road. 

Click on the links below to hear Albert’s son, Jim Butterick, talk about his father with memories of childhood trips delivering Bentley’s Yorkshire Bitter and other brews far and wide.

Jim Butterick – My dad the drayman

Jim Butterick – Growing up in Oulton

Jim and Albert Butterick on Albert Road, 1964.
Presentation tankard given to Albert for 25 years service at BYB.
Jim Butterick with his sister Alison in Walker Crossland’s cart outside the Old Masons pub. Walker supplied farm produce and lived at Middleton Lane on Rothwell Haigh. His father, also called Walker, was a member of the 2nd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment when he was killed in action in France in 1917. Before joining up he had been a brewer’s labourer at Bentley’s and had brought up his family on French Street in New Woodlesford.
Oulton Church Associated Football Club, 1922 – 1923. Back row (left to right): Rev. Capel Cure, George Storey, George Wright, Albert Butterick, Laurie Maundrill, Fred Butterick, Tom Brown. Middle row: Alfred Atack, Tom Storey, Fred Raybould, Albert Maundrill, Ken Angus. Front row: Harold Morley and Stanley Nettleton.
Albert Butterick, with wife Catherine, Jim and Alison, at Rhyl in 1948.