Oulton Band Oulton Band in the early 1920s. Cornet player Billy Williams, who became the manager at Water Haigh colliery, is fourth from the right on the back row. Frank Higgins, who wasa miner at Water Haigh, is on the far left of the back row. The band rehearsed in a room at the New Masons and led the procession at the annual “demonstration” to raise money for the Leeds General Infirmary. A whist drive, organised by Herbert Jones, was held at the Welfare Club in January 1926 to raise money for new instruments but it met with “only moderate support”. In June 1926, during the 6 month long miners’ strike, the band played at an open air service conducted by the Vicar of Oulton, Rev. W.E. Worsley M.C. The service took place on the Croft Field where £2.15s was raised by the Churchworkers’ Union for the fund set up to provide meals for children during the strike. The Reverend Geoffrey Mercer attempted to revive the band in the early 1950s. Bandsman Frank Higgins who went on to play with the Yorkshire Hussars Band. He met his wife, Daisy, while playing with Oulton Band at the Boot and Shoe Inn in Woodlesford. An earlier incarnation of the band. In May 1862 they took part in a brass band contest at Scarborough. Most of the other bands which came from across Yorkshire played selections from operas but Oulton, along with Malton, played the Hallelujah chorus from Handel’s “Messiah.” They didn’t win. Oulton Band at Oulton Hall. The original photo was damaged hence the missing faces on the left. A clergyman is in the middle of the back row and the man standing behind the band is believed to be John Selwin Calverley which would date the picture before his death in 1900.