A “Deltic” was a rare sight running through Woodlesford. The powerful diesel locomotives were introduced in the early 1960s to be the workhorses of the East Coast Main Line passenger service. During the working week they normally hauled trains between Leeds Central and London Kings Cross on the Great Northern route via Wakefield Westgate. However on Sundays, if there was engineering work on that line, they were diverted to the Midland Main Line and could reach Doncaster, either via Knottingley and Askern, or be routed back onto the Great Northern at Hare Park Junction just south of Wakefield.
The photographs on this page were taken Derek Rayner during the winter of 1962 when there were timetabled diversions for Kings Cross trains taking them through the Woodlesford area. The photos, taken on different Sundays, show the Harrogate Sunday Pullman. With train reporting number or headcode 1N07, the northbound train departed Kings Cross at 0945 and was routed to run via Hare Park Junction and Turner’s Lane Junction near Wakefield Kirkgate. It then passed through Normanton, Methley and Woodlesford about 1325 before arriving at at Leeds City station at 1334. There it was divided with one portion running to Bradford Forster Square and the other to Harrogate.
After combining the portions from Bradford and Harrogate the southbound train, 1E14, departed from Leeds at 1603 and passed through Woodlesford at about ten past four.